Kastellorizo, a major trading port.

This photo was taken in 1921. The Island's history includes being occupied by the Knights of St John, the Sultan of Egypt, the King of Naples, Venetians, Ottomans, and more recently by the Italians in WW1. In ancient times, the island was called Megisti after its founder, a Cretan Prince called Megisteas. Its present name – Kastellorizo was given by the medieval Crusaders and was inspired by the red rocks on which the Knights’ Castle, Castel Rosso, was built. The island came under Turkish rule in 1522. Kastellorizo was occupied by the French during the First World War. The island was ceded to Italy in 1921. When the Italians surrendered to the allies in 1943, the British ruled the island until 1944 when the Germans took control. After the war, the British military forces reigned on the island. Kastellorizo was returned to Greece in 1948.

Go to link